BRIEF HISTORY OF FUDMA SCHOOL OF POSTGRADUATE STUDIES
How it all started:
The Senate of Federal University Dutsin-Ma at its 27th regular meeting held on Tuesday 14th July, 2015 considered the report of the Committee on proposed Postgraduate School and approved the establishment of the School as ‘Graduate School’, with the expectation to commence activities in the month of September 2015.
Since the approval in the year 2015, there wasn’t any major development till 9th May 2017 when the University Administration under the leadership of the Ag. Vice-Chancellor, Prof Armaya’u Hamisu Bichi, approved the appointment of the Management of the Graduate School as follows: Professor Ojonigu F. Ati as the Pioneer Dean, Dr. Rabiu A. Kurfi as the Deputy Dean, and Aminu Ibrahim Lawal as the Acting Secretary of the school.
At its 6th Special meeting held on Wednesday 31st May 2017, the Senate of Federal University Dutsin-Ma considered and approved the memo presented by the Dean, SPGS on the need for change of name of the School from ‘Graduate School’ to ‘School of Postgraduate Studies’.
MANAGEMENT COMMITTEE OF FUDMA SPGS
The SPGS Management Committee is responsible for the day to day running of the School. It is responsible for evaluating the progress of the school administration with the view to suggesting ways of improvement. It also collates and analyzes submissions to the School Board and subsequently makes recommendation towards the smooth running of the school.
The FUDMA SPGS Management meets once every forth-nightly or at any other time the need arises.
The full membership of FUDMA SPGS Management Committee is as follows:
- Deputy Dean
- Finance Officer
- Resident Internal Auditor
- Resident ICT Coordinator
FUDMA SCHOOL OF POSTGRADUATE STUDIES BOARD
This Board is the principal body of the School with the power to consider, enact and implement policies on research matters. It is responsible for the consideration and approval of submissions to the school prior to it being forwarded to the Senate.
The SPGS Board has the following membership:
- Dean, SPGS as the Chairman
- Deputy Dean, SPGS
- All Deans of Faculties
- All Deputy Deans of Faculties (as PG Coordinators)
- All Academic Directors
- University Librarian
- The Secretary SPGS (as the Secretary)
- The Registrar- In attendance
- The Bursar – In attendance
The Board delegates its responsibility to five (5) committees viz;
- The Curriculum Committee;
- The Appeals and Disciplinary Committee;
- The Academic Policy and Standards Committee;
- The Research Committee; and
- The New Programmes Committee.
Functions of the FUDMA SPGS Board:
The Board coordinates the conduct of Postgraduate programmes of the University. It also makes recommendations to senate on regulations relating to postgraduate studies including conditions for admission, teaching and examinations and the award of higher degrees and postgraduate diploma programmes.
STRUCTURE OF THE FUDMA SPGS
The current structure and staff composition of FUDMA SPGS is as follows:
- The whole School is headed by a Dean and deputized by a Deputy Dean;
- The Registry is headed by Ag. Secretary and assisted by three Administrative Staff (one Administrative Officer and two Administrative Assistant);
- The Finance Office is headed by a Finance Officer and assisted by three (3) Accountants (two Accountant I, one Accountant II);
- The Store Office under the Bursary is headed by a Store Officer;
- The Audit Unit is manned by an Internal Auditor I;
- The ICT unit is manned by an ICT Coordinator and assisted with four ICT Staff ( Senior Network Technician, System Analyst II, Software Engineer II, Senior computer Operator)
- There are three Clerical Officers; and
- Two cleaners.
In summary, the school staff strength is 22no. Staff (both Senior and Junior).
Consequent upon approval by the University Senate, the first advertisement of FUDMA SPGS was released in the Daily Trust Newspaper of Wednesday 16th August 2017 with 17 postgraduate diplomas and two professional masters programmes. The programmes are:
- Postgraduate Diploma in Livestock Production and Management;
- Postgraduate Diploma in Crop Production;
- Postgraduate Diploma in Aquaculture and Fisheries Management;
- Postgraduate Diploma in Education;
- Postgraduate Diploma in Computer Science;
- Postgraduate Diploma in Physics;
- Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Physics with Electronics;
- Postgraduate Diploma in Plant Science and Biotechnology;
- Postgraduate Diploma in Microbiology;
- Postgraduate Diploma in Environmental Chemistry;
- Postgraduate Diploma in Analytical Chemistry;
- Postgraduate Diploma in Forensic and Instrumental methods in Chemistry;
- Postgraduate Diploma in Accounting and Finance;
- Postgraduate Diploma in Management;
- Postgraduate Diploma in Environmental Management;
- Postgraduate Diploma in Geographic Information System;
- Master in Islamic Finance and Development; and
- Master of Development Studies.
For the other academic masters programme, the schools awaits NUC’s approval before further action would be taken.
The second advertisement was released on Monday 4th December, 2017 which covers the postgraduate programmes in the first advertisement and additional Ph.D and Masters programmes as follows:
FACULTY OF SOCIAL SCIENCES
Department of Economics and Development Studies:
Doctor of Philosophy, Economics
Master of Science Economics
Department of Political Science:
Doctor of Philosophy, Political Science
Master of Science Political Science
Department of Geography and Regional Planning:
Master of Science in Geography
Masters in Environmental Management (Professional)
Masters in Geographical Information System (Professional)
CENTRE FOR INNOVATION AND DEVELOPMENT
Master in Islamic Finance and development (Professional)
Master of Development Studies (Professional).
On Wednesday, 1st November, 2017, the University Management received a ten member delegation from the National Universities Commission (NUC) on resource visitation to the School of Postgraduate Studies. They inspected the facilities in the Departments of Economics, Geography and Political Science. They also inspected the University Library, Lecture Halls and the SPGS Complex.